Traditional Cabbage Roll-ups but Plant-based
Apr 01,2020 | Yvette Rose
Have you ever had cabbage roll? I hesitated when I first heard about it because I just wasn't sure of the texture, the difficulty to make and taste. Truth be told, I am not a fan of cabbage, but this recipe I put together based on an old traditional German recipe, cabbage roll-ups. This is a vegan version of this good 'ole recipe. Cabbage is cancer fighting, anti-inflammatory and all around good vibes for your gut-health.
Activated ingredients for this Joule Recipe is the powerful lentil and cabbage. With these plant-powered superfoods, you are sure to get good for you nutrients that you can store in the fridge and it have it ready for your on-the-go schedule.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (1cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced ¾ cup dry lentils
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
8 large savoy cabbage leaves, ribs removed
½ cup pitted olives –any is fine
3 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
1/2 cup tomato puree
2 carrots diced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. dried marjoram
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tbsp sea salt
1/8 cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for about 1 min.
- Add lentils and 4 cups water in water add salt oil, turmeric, bay leaf, tomato, parsley & carrots
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium/low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch cabbage leaves 6 minutes, or until tender. Rinse under cold water, and drain.
- Mash half of lentils then add the other half (DO NOT MASH) lentils, olives Put tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, and all seasonings into a bowl.
- Lay 1 cabbage leaf on the counter
- Add a few tablespoons of the lentil mixture
- Fold sides inward and roll tightly. In a non-stick baking pan add 1/2 cup sauce.
- Place seam side down in a dish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake cabbage rolls, covered, 1 hour then bake for 10 minutes uncovered
12PM, 7PM, Creativity, Detox, Dinner, Energy, Flatter Belly, Focus, Gut Health, lunch, Vegan