Bean Gumbo and Greens
Apr 01,2020 | Yvette Rose
Activated herbs and spices ingredients to ease the digestive process for a healthier gut.
- 2 to 3 large bunches greens collards, broccoli rabe, and kale with stems removed and discarded
- sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut or avocado oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (be mindful of the spiciness of cayenne)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly milled pepper
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, put through a press or minced
- 3 cups cooked red kidney beans
- In a wide, heavy soup pot heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in the flour, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring constantly with a flat wooden spoon, until the roux is dark reddish-brown around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the seasonings, then add the vegetables.
- Cook for 5 minutes,
- then stir in the garlic 2½ teaspoons salt, and 2 quarts water
- Continue stirring until the liquid comes to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans and greens and cook for 15 minutes
- Carbohydrates 28 g
- Fats 9 g
- Protein 8 g
12PM, 7PM, Energy, Focus, Relaxation